Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tuna Salad Stuffed Bell Pepper

K, so while sitting and baking in the Texas heat during the South Central CrossFit Regionals, I decided to make a run to the grocery store for some food. Knowing I would not be able to use flame to cook, I decided to see what I could find to throw together. I needed to find something that could be made and consumed with minimal utensils. With a lap or zig-zag through the local grocery store I found some items to create chicken salad stuffed bell pepper...the stuffed peppers where a hit and delicious, also easy to eat...either just a fork or like an apple. However, I decided to come up with a slightly different version while at the fire station...so here we go...give'em a try and enjoy.

Ingredients:





Large Bell Pepper, any color...I like red ones (top cut off, seeds and veins removed)









Five Red Grape and Yellow Sunburst tomatoes (cut into quarters)









1/4 Avocado (sliced or diced)







Mixed Green Lettuce (chopped)









2 Hard Boiled Eggs (peeled and diced) Yes I only took a picture of the pretty one.







Yellow Mustard (paleo friendly) & Mayo (paleo friendly)








Turkey (lunch meat,3 pieces thin sliced...found some with no preservatives no additives no hormones) I did not take a pic of the thin sliced pile...work with me here.









15 oz can of Albacore Tuna in water (water pressed out)




Steps:

Now I like my tuna salad to have some content...however, I am not a fan of celery or carrots in my tuna salad...so if you have another recipe you prefer use it...this how I like mine...

In a mixing bowl, I recommend at least a medium size or larger, throw in: tomatoes, avocado, lettuce, eggs, and tuna...put in as much or little mayo and mustard as you like. I have learned it is easier for your sanity to add the mayo and mustard a little at a time, fold in, taste...and repeat until you reach desired flavor, texture, and consistency. Next, add pepper and salt to taste. I do add a touch of a chipotle flavored hot sauce...adding another layer of flavor. Continue to fold everything together till it is all consistent in look. Now take your cleaned out bell pepper, and stuff the tuna mix into it.



Top with the thin sliced turkey meat. I did have enough left over to make two stuffed peppers, however I have plenty of mixed green salad to make a nice bed of greens for the rest of the tuna mix to rest on, for eating.
K...so this it...eat, enjoy, and let me know what you think.  If you have any suggestions to this or anything else please post them.



2 comments:

  1. I was able to try the first version this weekend. Can't imagine how you "improved" it, but I sure do want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. K...just relized I cant spell...Central...but hey...me tired afta watchin Crystal kick arse!!!

    ReplyDelete