Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Grillin Time!!!

Hello...there. Well like I have said in an early post I am going to go over some helpful tips or hints even a couple ideas for grilling. If after reading this post you have better suggestion or recommendations, please share them so we can get the best information out there.

K...now I want to start on what to grill. Eeek...I know...scary. Really, I think the grill at times can be intimidating even for me, however the more we cook on it, the more it becomes a tool in our chest. Now we pretty well know that meat has dominated the majority of grilling how to out there. The veggies take up a couple of the remaining pages towards the back. So here are some of my favorite vegetable ideas:

Yellow squash and zucchini (cut into slices length wise or rounds, even as sticks, season with my secret spice mix, from that guy)

Egg Plant (yes it works, I recommend 1/4 - 1/2" slices, season simply with pepper, salt, and olive oil)

Avocado (I really like them cut in half still in the shell and seed removed, season with pepper, salt, cayenne pepper, olive oil)

Asparagus (olive oil, pepper, salt, and any other spice to kick up the flavor)

Brussels Sprouts (yes even these, similar seasoning as the above items, I like roasting them in the oven, however this past weekend I was prepared these awesome things straight from the grill.)

Pineapple (just as is, super good when these bites get nice grill marks, wedges or rings)

Tomatoes (large slices or wedges seems to work best)

Onion wedges (onions will sweeten up once good heat is applies)

Bell Peppers (or really any type of pepper for that matter, especially if you are in to making your own salsas and such...if you haven't tried them do so, I recommend)

Mushrooms (funny, not really my favorite thing to eat, although grilled mushrooms are more agreeable to my tongue, however nothing beats sauteed mushrooms and onions...mmm caramelization)

So, these are a few of my favorites from the top of my head.  I am positive there are many others, so please post'em up in the comments.

I do apologize for the delay on this post, I was at the fire station yesterday between running calls and shotty internet connection...I am doing this post today.

So how can we tell if and when the meat is ready to remove from the grill with out the sacrificial cutting and draining of the juices??? The best tool is...your hand. 

Take the meat off the heat and press it with with your index finger. The firmer it is, the more done it is. Use your hand as a guide.


Poke the soft area of muscle between your thumb and index finger when your hand is relaxed. If the meat feels like that, it's probably too underdone (except for the tartare crowd). Stretch your fingers halfway open, and poke again. It feels firmer but still gives. That’s closer to medium rare.




Stretch your fingers halfway open, and poke again. It feels firmer but still gives. That’s closer to medium rare.







All the way open feels firm and approximates medium. Make a fist and poke again. That's well done.







Well I hope all this info helps.  Thank you for your support.  Have fun and eat up!!!

2 comments:

  1. Chris,
    Thanks for the Paleo recipes. Another place to find more is http://www.everydaypaleo.com/.

    Look forward to your upcoming one's!

    --Sampie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cris,

    How about some more recipes?

    Oh, and I made some killer salmon the other day.

    Carrey

    ReplyDelete