Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps


Wow...K...been away for a bit. I do apologize, for the updates to the blog or the lack there of. Fortunately I have been taking pictures and keeping up with the cooking. Before we go any further I really want to thank each and everyone out there for their support.

Well...almost like starting over...mmm...not really. I hope you are ready for a little, well depends on how much you make to eat really...but today is Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps!!! Super good, super fuel.  These are a hit at both my house and the fire station.  Yes I am trying to convert the fire house...with a sneaky attack...paleo style.

Wraps:
2-4 grilled chicken breast (seasoned as you see fit, however...have fun since we are doing Thai, play with Thai flavors) 







head of uncooked broccoli (the very very tops cut off, I really like my broccoli in really small pieces, makes wraps easier to manage)





carrots (shredded, thin slices, julienned...anyway you like them)








cilantro (chopped)








green onion (sliced very thin)








romaine lettuce leaves (cut the bottom off and use the whole leaf)









Chicken Seasoning:
olive oil








red pepper flakes








sarachi sauce








lemon grass (I know, I know...I was making these at the fire station and had to use what was available at the local grocery...so shoot me.)







ginger








pepper and salt (this picture never gets old)








garlic powder (pictured above)









cumin (k, I thought by now I would have a pic of this, will get it on the next time)

Almond Sauce:
1/4 cup almond butter (need a pic of this, I like the fresh ground from the store)
1/4 cup water (would be as funny as the pepper salt pic...but hey, we never know)
soy sauce (start with 1 tbs, at the most I would use 2 tbs...really depends on what your taste buds tell ya)







2 garlic cloves (minced and smashed)








2 tbs of fresh squeezed lime juice









1-2 tsp lemon grass (minced and smashed...if you use fresh, if you can find. I recommend using a zester)
1/2-1 tsp ginger (minced and smashed/zested(?))
1-2 tsp sarachi/Thai chili sauce/hot chili oil (this depends on availability and heat...use what you can find, then manage the heat to your liking)
touch of honey (will get a pic soon)



Like I said Thai Chicken...so lets season our chicken to match the dish.  I actually started seasoning the chicken this way on my third attempt...and wow...a whole nother level!!!  Start with rinsed and thoroughly pat dried chicken.
Drizzle your choice of oil, I like to use grape seed...truly your choice. Once drizzled, add pepper, salt, sarachi sauce, lemon grass, tad of ginger, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, cumin...I know, I know...sounds like a lot...trust me it is worth it.  Now rub your chickens nicely.
Let your chicken rest and soak up the goodness, mean while lets work on the other things.
Once you have prep'd your fillers or during prep...turn your grill on.
I like to use a Med High heat...takes roughly 5-8'ish min per side.  Always let your chicken rest tented under aluminum foil for at least five min before cutting.  Please refer to my previous blog about checking the doneness of meat with out cutting it open.
While your chicken is cooking and resting, lets put the almond sauce together.  Pretty easy. Take the ingredients and in a mixing bowl whisk all the ingredients together.  Now if you have had peanut (ah!!!) sauce in the past, you may know what flavor you are looking for.  As for me...I can only suggest, if you are using a new spice or herb or whatever it may be, please start with little bit mix, taste and continue till you get a flavor your taste buds like.  I have mixed feelings on using too much soy sauce, so I will always recommend, start with a little bit and work up.  My best explanation of flavor, should have a nice creamy, yet slightly thinned texture.  Peanut to Almond taste, little sweet, little heat, with a nice blend of lemon grass, garlic, ginger.
K, now thin slice your chicken once rested, take a nice sized romaine leaf, and fill to your hearts content of all your favorite fillings.  Mrs. Chalk Monster likes to add thin sliced cabbage, which adds another texture and flavor layer. If you have other ideas please share in the comments section.  Again thank you for your patients.  Hope all is well with each of you and your families. Eat well, eat lots, eat simple, eat primal, have fun, teach others! Aloha!

1 comment:

  1. Hey CM, im ready for a new Recipe!!! Love, your baby sister

    ReplyDelete