Sunday, June 6, 2010

Paleo Banana Almond Pancakes

Aloha to all. Saturday was a great day for paleo goodness...starting with the pancakes I am about to reveal and then having two grill outs...plenty of quality grass fed, natural, and cage free protein with a ton of awesome organic veggies...which will be covered on the next post. For now I am making one of my all time favorite breakfasts.  I have seen a couple paleo pancake recipes out there, however there happen to be one or two things missing.  So taking what I remember from my pre non paleo pancakes I used to make and applying what I could to the new paleo friendly pancakes, I believe you will find these pancakes worth the couple extra ingredients and steps.  I can not thank you all enough for your support and feed back, again if there is a recipe out there you would like me to post let me know.  This blog is for all of us old and new to the paleo plan.  All I ask is enjoy your food and enjoy cooking it. Pancake time!!!

Helpful Hint:  I highly recommend finding/purchasing a flour sifter.  In my experience when using almond flour is without sifting it, the batter makes gritty textured pancakes, not bad...but not what I enjoy the most.  When I started using a flour sifter, the pancakes have a much smoother texture...more in line with the old non paleo pancakes.

Pancake Mix:
2 cups almond flour (sifted, you don't have to pack the measuring cup, nor recommend doing so, the natural oils in almond flour will reverse what you where trying to accomplish by sifting)






6 eggs (room temp)
I know I only have 4 pictured here...shh.







organic coconut milk (I use about half a can, you can use more if you like thin batter, or less if you like thick batter)







1 banana (almost completely brown skin, I mash the banana inside its peel before adding to batter)







1 tsp organic vanilla extract








2 tsp baking soda (gluten free)











1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg







Organic Maple Syrup (used sparingly)









Equipment:
mixer (stand/hand)
mixing bowl
spatula
cookie sheet (I use this to catch the almond flour I am sifting into the measuring cup)
griddle (or whatever you use to make pancakes)
measuring spoons and cups

Fun time:
Grab your cookie sheet set your measuring cup on it.  Pour your almond flour into the sifter and sift, till you get your two cups. Using the cooking sheet is nice, because you do not end up wasting any of the almond flour...which is $$$.
Dump the sifted flour into the mixing bowl add your eggs, banana, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder. You can add coconut milk too...start with a quarter can and add as much as you like till you get your desired batter thickness.  I use about 1/2 a can which with this recipe quantity, I can get between 11-12 pancakes, when using a 1/3 cup measure to pour out the pancakes...found the 1/3c measure makes a really good size pancake...but I have on occasion made the "Uncle Buck" full griddle pancake for fun...and laughs from Mrs. Chalk Monster.
Mix your batter on medium speed till all is thoroughly mixed...try not to over mix...mom said this to me a long time ago...guess if you beat the batter to hard and fast you can end up with a tough batter.
Now that you have your mix ready pour out your pancakes.  As for how hot your griddle or pan should be...wow...I really do not know.  I will say this, only because I did it...trial and error.  Once you find a good temp write it down some where or mark it on your griddle.
Once you pour out your pancakes, wait till the edges look firm or solid. Then flip, look for a nice golden brown, if it is too light you know to go longer, too dark go less time on each side.

K, that is it...hopefully this has helped.  I am at fault at times of over wording things, so I do apologize for that but I am trying to be as helpful as possible.

Dress your pancakes anyway you like.  I added coconut oil, instead of butter, sliced almonds, blackberries, raspberries, and blue berries. Finally I sparingly used the Organic Maple Syrup.  So dress them up the way you want...send me your toppings or ideas and we can see how awesome we can make these. Thank you and eat up!!!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the recipe that Rebecca raves about!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work, CM. Made this one this morning. I bake my pancakes though, instead of putting them on a griddle.

    ReplyDelete