Friday, June 4, 2010

Almond Apricot Chicken Salad

Good afternoon to all. Thank you so much for your support. Today's tastiness is a re-creation of some goodness I tried over the memorial day weekend.  Surely there are a thousand ways to make a classic or not so classic chicken salad. However, I will admit apricot in chicken salad was never on my list till I tried some from the deli at the local grocery store.  I do know what I bought was not entirely natural and paleo, so I set out to make it that way.  To keep everyone on the same page here...if you have a dish out there, an all time favorite you know is not paleo or natural, please let me have a try.  I am sure with everyone's help we can get something so close you will not be able to tell the difference, except the fact that your body will love you for the awesome fuel it has received. Keep the comments coming, good or bad...I here for you all.  Thank you.

Kk...some words on chicken. Whether you buy frozen or fresh, always rinse thoroughly and pat dry.  Next season...you can run the olive oil and spices way...or try my latest crave just spices and pat on dry.  Maybe in the future I will do a "How to Spice Your Chicken Right" post...be on the look out. Time to cook.

The Goods:
2-4 chicken breast (pulled with a fork against the grain of the muscle...your meat will peel right off.)
   AHH!  I failed here and did not get a pic of the pulled chicken. My apologies.

2-4 apricots (peeled, stem and seed removed, and cubed)








1/2-whole avocado (sliced or cubed)








sliced almonds (as much or little as you like)








green onion (about a tbs/per chicken breast, really thin sliced)











Dijon mustard and organic natural mayo








garlic powder (just a touch)








pepper and salt (flavor balance)









Equipment:
large mixing bowl
spatula

Cook'n time:
Once you have pulled your chicken apart, place all the meat into the large mixing bowl.
Add your mayo little at a time and fold.  Repeat till you get the look and consistency you desire.  Remember this is a chicken salad...so we want to still taste the chicken...not the dressing.
Next add the Dijon mustard, start with a little bit and fold.  I know when I have used just the right amount when the mayo taste has just faded away. 
Follow up adding green onions and the avocado...I use avocado for a couple reasons in my tuna/chicken salad mixes:  One, it is a super food. Two, it adds a nice creamy texture to the salad, without adding more mayo.
Toss in as much of the apricot and almonds as you feel. It is all up to you. Continue to fold till the salad is mixed well.


Now what to do with all this wholesomeness...well Mrs. Chalk Monster made a great bed of mixed green salad, with grape and sunburst tomatoes, and the left over apricot not used.  But really you can put this with anything, stuff bell peppers, add to the top of a burger patty, lettuce wraps, you name it...matter of fact if you come up with other ideas, please post in the comments and I will post'em up.  There is only one thing left to do and that is enjoy!!!

2 comments:

  1. sorry to say that the left-overs from last night are no more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll make this next shift. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete